Log in

The New Westminster Chamber of Commerce strives to bring advocacy to our business community.  Community advocacy includes creating programs and services, developing partnerships, and changing public policies, laws, and practices to improve our local businesses. 

Our goal is to help you reach the people you need to in order to create change. If you have questions, concerns, or need guidance, contact our Advocacy Hotline with "Advocacy" in the subject!


City of New Westminster Departments

The City of New Westminster has many different departments to help the residents and businesses of New West. If you need to contact the City, starting with the correct department can make your concern be heard faster. All contact information for the City of New Westminster's departments can be found here. 

What can the City Departments do for you?

Office of the Chief Administrative Officer

Lisa Spitale
Chief Administrative Officer

The Office of the Chief Administrative Officer is responsible for the oversight of all City departments other than Library and Police. New Westminster’s Economic Development and Communications division are also located within this office.

Development Services

Emilie Adin
Director of Development Services

The Development Services Department is responsible for advising Council on the orderly, efficient and aesthetic use of land in New Westminster as well as the physical, social and economic development of the City which includes urban and regional planning, urban design, processing of rezoning applications, social planning, overseeing the heritage program, building and development, assigned strategic social and community issues, permits and licenses and bylaw enforcement.

The Department also focuses on the City’s strategic issues and specific projects that have corporate-wide impacts and require special interdepartmental coordination. Management of gaming activities, economic enhancement, investment generation strategies, and M.T.I. are also handled by the Development Services Department.

Electrical Utility

Rod Carle

General Manager

The Electrical department is involved in designing, constructing and maintaining overhead and underground electrical distribution systems; maintaining City street lights and traffic lights and performing the electrical maintenance work at a majority of City building/facilities.



Jim Lowrie
Director of Engineering

The Engineering Department is made up of two distinct divisions.
The Administration and Design Division is responsible for the design of the City’s water, sewer, drainage, road and traffic services and for the administration of the contracts of outside firms performing related tasks for the City.

The Engineering Operations Division is the outside workforce responsible for the construction, operation and maintenance of the various City services. Garbage collection, recycling, towing, animal, parking patrol and the City Garage are included in the Operations Division.


Finance and Information Technology

The Finance Department manages the financial affairs of the City. Specific functions of the department include billing and collecting property taxes, electric and water utility charges; accounts payable; accounts receivable; payroll and purchasing. The Finance Department’s goal is to provide expert financial and accounting information to Council, Administration and operational staff. Click here to learn more about Information Technology Services


Alvin K. Chok, Chief Information Officer

Tel 604-527-4553   Fax 604-527-4600


Fire and Rescue Services

Tim Armstrong

Fire Chief

New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services protects life, property, and the environment through effective emergency management, fire and life safety education, fire code enforcement inspections, and by responding to emergencies. In addition to fire suppression, rescue services and emergency medical services, other roles include working with our community emergency services partners, developing the youth firefighter program and providing community outreach.

Human Resources

Richard Fong

Director of Human Resources

The goal of the Human Resources Department is to best utilize the City’s most valuable assets, its employees. This goal is pursued through providing core services such as recruitment, labour relations, health and safety, training and development, and salary and benefits administration to all City departments. In addition, positive employee relations are fostered through the involvement by the Department in many City wide administrative functions. The department also acts as a “sounding board” for organizational and administrative ideas.


Legislative Services

The Department provides general legislative support, administrative support to Council and committees, elections services, Freedom of Information administration, internal records management, risk management and other related services required in the legislative area.


Julie Spurrell

Chief Librarian

Administered by the New Westminster Public Library Board, the Library’s goal is to provide informational, educational, cultural and recreational materials in diverse forms which match the particular needs and interests of New Westminster residents. The Library is organized into four departments; General Circulation, Children’s, Reference, and Technical Services.


Parks and Recreation

Dean Gibson

Director of Parks and Recreation

New Westminster is famous for its well maintained parks, first class facilities and top quality recreation programs. The department is comprised of two main divisions. Throughout the year, the Parks Division maintain the parks and playgrounds and beautifies the city with dazzling flower beds, hanging baskets and decorative areas. Whether the program is swimming or skating, arts or aerobics, bus trips or ball hockey, special events or softball, the emphasis in the Recreation Division is always on fun, with qualified leaders in a clean, safe environment.


Dave Jones

Chief Constable

The mission of the Police Department is to work with the community to establish a safer environment by reducing crime, violence and fear. The department has three major divisions; general patrol, criminal investigation, and administrative and technical services. Community involvement, crime prevention and quality service are some of the key strategies which the department has implemented to help it achieve its vision of making New Westminster’s streets the safest in the Lower Mainland. The Police Department is administered by the New Westminster Police Board.

Is your issue still not resolved?

If it is not resolved, the next step to take is to contact clerks@newwestcity.ca, addressing your concern to Mayor and Council.  Your email will be logged and forwarded to Mayor, Council and appropriate staff.

New Westminster Mayor & Council

What can Mayor & Council do for you?

The Mayor and Councillors do not have individual areas of responsibility or portfolios – council acts as a collective.  The limited scope of municipal powers is explained in the Community Charter, section 8, which is given below:

Fundamental Powers

8 (1) A municipality has the capacity, rights, powers and privileges of a natural person of full capacity.

(2) A municipality may provide any service that the council considers necessary or desirable, and may do this directly or through another public authority or another person or organization.

(3) A council may, by bylaw, regulate, prohibit and impose requirements in relation to the following:

(a) municipal services;

(b) public places;

(c) trees;

(d) firecrackers, fireworks and explosives;

(e) bows and arrows, knives and other weapons not referred to in subsection (5);

(f) cemeteries, crematoriums, columbariums and mausoleums and the interment or other disposition of the dead;

(g) the health, safety or protection of persons or property in relation to matters referred to in section 63 [protection of persons and property];

(h) the protection and enhancement of the well-being of its community in relation to the matters referred to in section 64 [nuisances, disturbances and other objectionable situations];

(i) public health – not New Westminster

(j) protection of the natural environment;

(k) animals;

(l) buildings and other structures;

(m) the removal of soil and the deposit of soil or other material.

(5) A council may, by bylaw, regulate and prohibit in relation to the discharge of firearms.

(6) A council may, by bylaw, regulate in relation to business.

Judy Darcy - MLA

When you contact our Judy Darcy's community office, herself and staff will do everything they can to assist. Since they're often out in the community attending events and meeting, or helping community members, it is a great idea to call ahead in order to ensure you will reach them. 

What can Judy Darcy do for you?

  • Advocacy – They will work hard to assist you with any issues you are having involving provincial government departments, services, or ministries.
  • Information – Their office can find the right government contact or program. They can help you understand out how program changes will affect you, your family and your community.
  • Referral – They know the services available in our community. They also know what grants are available to help fund community building services and projects. Just ask!
  • Correspondence – Their office can submit documents for government-related matters.
  • Promotion – They can help get the word out for your community events through our community partners, newsletter, website and social media.*
  • Space for community workshops and meetings – They want to host your free workshop or meeting. They can even seat up to 32 people at 737 Sixth St.*
  • Recognition – Has someone in our community made a unique contribution or achieved something great? They will send a congratulatory message and certificate.
*Provincial government rules restrict the type of events we can host and promote, please ask us for details.

Peter Julian - Member of Parliament

The Community Office team is available to help residents navigate through and resolve issues with federal government departments, programs and services. You can reach the community office here in New Westminster here.

What can Peter Julian Do for you?

Funding for Organizations

Through the Library of Parliament, Peter can access information for funding and grants. Social Development Canada’s Grants and Contributions programs serves Canadians individually and in organizations. To research grants and contributions, please visit the Grants and Contributions website.

If you have further questions about federal funding programs, they will do what they can to help you. Contact their constituency office at 604.775.5707.

Employment Insurance and Jobs

EI (Employment Insurance) provides temporary financial assistance for unemployed Canadians while they look for work or upgrade their skills. Canadians who are sick, pregnant or caring for a newborn or adopted child, as well as those who must care for a family member who is seriously ill with a significant risk of death, may also be assisted by EI. Please visit the EI website.
You may also complete your EI reports online by going to EI online.

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) is responsible for providing all Canadians with the tools they need to thrive and prosper in an inclusive labor market. Please visit the HRSDC website.  Here you’ll find Canadian employment opportunities, how to post a job as an employer, information about hiring foreign workers, program and funding opportunities, and work search tools and tips.

For job opportunities and job search information specific to British Columbia, please visit BC jobs. The Canadian and British Columbia governments are among the many partners who support this site. 

If you have further questions, they will do what they can to help you. Contact their constituency office at 604.775.5707.

Canada Pension, Disability and Old Age Security

Please visit sections of the Social Development Canada website for detailed information about the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). For information about general retirement benefits, please go to the CPP general benefits section. For information about CPP Disability eligibility and benefits, please go to the CPP Disability section.

If you have further questions about CPP or CPP Disability benefits, they will do what they can to help you. Contact their constituency office at 604.775.5707.

Old Age Security Program (OAS)

The Old Age Security (OAS) program, the cornerstone of Canada’s retirement income system, provides you with a modest pension at age 65 if you have lived in Canada for at least 10 years. If you are a low-income earner, you may be eligible for other benefits as early as age 60. For detailed OAS information, please visit Human Resources and Skills Development Canada’s OAS website.

If you have further questions about OAS, they will do what they can to help you. Contact their constituency office at 604.775.5707.

Canada Student Loans

The Canada Student Loans Program promotes accessibility to post-secondary education by helping Canadian students with a demonstrated financial need to access loans and grants. To learn more about eligibility and how to apply for student loans and grants, please visit Human Resources and Skills Development Canada’s Student Loans website.

If you have further questions about student loans, they will do what they can to help you. Contact their constituency office at 604.775.5707.

Income Tax & Revenue Canada

Please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website. Here you’ll find detailed and easy-to-follow information about individual and business taxation questions, child and family benefits, and quick links to useful related sites. You can also subscribe to free electronic mailing lists to stay informed about updates to various tax topics.

If you have further questions about Revenue Canada, they will do what they can to help you. Contact their constituency office at 604.775.5707.

Citizenship / Immigration

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is Canada’s official source of citizenship and immigration information. For information about immigrating to Canada and visas for work, study and visiting, please visit the CIC website. You can also learn more about Canadian citizenship and/or becoming a Canadian citizen.

If you have further questions about immigration issues, they will do what they can to help you. Contact their constituency office at 604.775.5707.

Order Special Greetings

How do I arrange for birthday or anniversary greetings from my Member of Parliament?
If you are interested in commemorating a special birthday or anniversary, my office can help.  Just give us six weeks notice and we will send a certificate recognizing birthdays and anniversaries of friends and family. For a message from the Queen, please give us eight weeks notice. ORDER SPECIAL GREETINGS

Birthdays (please send proof of birth):

Any birthday: message from the Member of Parliament

65th and over: message from the Prime Minister

90th and over: message from the Governor General

100th and every 5th year thereafter: message from Her Majesty the Queen

Wedding Anniversaries (please send copy of marriage certificate):
Any anniversary: message from the Member of Parliament
25th and over: message from the Prime Minister
50th and over: message from Governor General
60th and 5th year thereafter: message from Her Majesty the Queen

Order Canada Flag Pins

You can request Canada flag pins for your organization or for travel. Order flag pins


Printable petitions to download and share. View petitions


The New Westminster Chamber of Commerce is a non-partisan business organization that exists to meet the needs of the business community.



(604) 521-7781
#201 - 309 Sixth St

New Westminster, BC V3L 3A7


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software